When I found this 1970′s zebra border print fabric at an estate sale last month, I knew right away that I wanted to use it to make Salme Patterns’ Kimono Top.
I wanted a shape that would show off the zebras, and it turned out that the print lined up with the pattern’s shape at the neck and shoulders exactly as I was hoping it would. This was a very quick project—I think it took me about 2 hours from start to finish. The only changes I made to the pattern were to use french seams and to replace the neck facings (ugh, facings) with self made bias tape. If I were doing it again I would use plain white rather than self fabric, since the darker stripes of the bias tape show through the white of the shirt a little bit.
This is a great, basic pattern that uses very little fabric (good for stashbusting or for expensive fabric) and doesn’t require much in the way of fitting. The instructions are very minimal, but the construction is pretty intuitive.
This seemed like the perfect opportunity to use these awesome labels from Sublime Stitching. I wasn’t totally sure what the best way to attach them was, so I just used a catchstitch. Perfectly functional, if not the prettiest.
I have almost three yards of this awesome fabric left, and it’s listed for sale in my Etsy shop. It’s a poly/cotton blend, lightweight and just drapey enough. I think it would make an awesome pair of Lakeside Pajamas, or a very cool gathered skirt.